Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Huntington Library



The first time I went to the Huntington Library was when I was a junior in high school we were on a school sponsored field trip and I remember being impressed with the art galleries and the beautiful gardens - especially the Japanese garden. But the the main attraction for me were the paintings of Pinkie and Blue boy. My friend Sarah was in my class and I remember what a great time we had checking out the galleries and the gardens. We recently talked about how she lost her purse when we stopped for lunch. Funny how we always associate that field trip with Sarah losing her purse at a McDonald's in Pasadena.

Sarah and I just returned from California and we visited the Huntington again for me it was the first time in 30 years. It was as beautiful and impressive as ever - with the exception of the remodeling project going on in the main art gallery. We were disappointed the gallery was closed as we wanted to see the many beautiful pieces known to be displayed in the main gallery.

Fortunately, Thomas Gainsborough's The Blue Boy and Thomas Lawrence's Pinke had been placed in the British Gallery for Display. I would have been greatly disappointed if had not been able to see these two paintings.

The Huntington was founded in 1919 by railroad and real estate developer Henry Edwards Huntington and opened to the public in 1928. Other Highlights of the collection include the Ellesmere manuscript of Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales (c.1410), a Gutenberg Bible (c.1455 Edward Hopper's The Long Leg, Rogier van der Weyden's Madonna and Child (15th century), the spectacular 12-acre desert garden, the camellia gardens, and much more.

2 comments:

Rick Pie said...

The garden photos are AMAZING. Where the heck is the Huntington Museum????

The Green Plate said...

It is in Pasadena and you would love it!